Profile HAI Secretary General
- Founder Secretary General, Hotel Association of India since 1996.
- Joined I.P.S. (1961); IRTS (1962).
- Served in several Ministries of the Government of India : Founder Director, Tourism Department, Ministry of Railways; Senior Vice President, India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC); Founder Director, Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management (IITTM), Ministry of Tourism and Additional Member, Tourism, Railway Board, Ministry of Railways.
- Represented India as a Delegate in over 30 UN and Multilateral Conferences and was the Signatory for India to the “Bangkok Agreement on Tariff Preferences among Developing Member Countries of UN-ESCAP” in 1975.
- Appointed Director, Tea Board of India at London for UK, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark and Finland from 1976-80.
- Member-Secretary, National Committee on Tourism, Planning Commission : 1986-88.
- Member, Tourism Advisory Council, World Tourism Organisation (WTO), Madrid : 1988-93; Member, India Advisory Board, Bank of America : 1997-2004; Member, Board of Directors, International Hotels & Restaurants Association (IH&RA), Geneva : 1998-2002.
- Achievements in the tourism field include launch of the iconic tourist train Palace-on-Wheels in 1981 and authoring the curriculum of India’s first Post Graduate Degree in Tourism Management (PGDTM) course in 1988.
- Recipient of ‘Vishist Yogyata Padak’ (Distinguished Service Award), the Ministry of Railways (1973); PATA Grand Gold Award for Tourism Education at Vancouver (1990) and IATO’s Hall of Fame Award (1996).